Special Education Teacher South-Doyle High School, Knoxville, TN
August 2012 to present
· Teach special education students English I and III, and co-teach English II.
· Serve as case manager for 18 students. Write IEPs, consult with general education teachers, and monitor student progress toward IEP goals. Conduct annual IEP meetings with students, parents, and education professionals.
· Participate in school events such as open house, in-service training, professional learning communities, and faculty and department meetings.
Volunteer Dogwood Elementary School, Knoxville, TN
January to May 2012
Assisted 5th grade teachers with language arts, reading, and math instruction by working with students one-on-one and in small groups.
Interim Language Arts Teacher Gresham Middle School, Knoxville, TN
August to December 2011
· Taught 8th grade regular, honors, and inclusion language arts.
· Wrote, edited, and designed 8th grade team monthly newsletter for students and parents.
· Participated in school events such as in-service training, IEP meetings, professional learning communities, Dr. Ruby Payne’s A Framework for Understanding Poverty book study, and faculty and department meetings.
Varying Exceptionalities Teacher Clearwater High School, Clearwater, FL
November 2008 to June 2011
· Taught standard diploma special education students Learning Strategies curriculum from The University of Kansas and special diploma special education students reading. Co-taught English I.
· Served as case manager for 31 students. Wrote IEPs, consulted with general education teachers, and monitored student progress toward IEP goals. Conducted annual IEP meetings with students, parents, and education professionals.
· Participated in school events such as open house, in-service training, professional learning communities, and faculty and department meetings.
Exceptional Student Education Associate Clearwater High School, Clearwater, FL
September 2006 to November 2008
Assisted special and general education teachers with reinforcement of teacher instruction, classroom organization, and student assessment and behavior management.
Designer Charlotte Observer, Charlotte, NC
October 2005 to July 2006
· Designed editorial pages and regional newspaper sections.
· Met with regional and editorial editors to determine placement of stories, photos, illustrations, and cartoons.
· Retrieved and scanned cartoons for editorial pages; selected art for illustrating opinion columns.
Associate Editor Robins Rev-Up, Robins Air Force Base, GA
March 2003 to August 2005
(This was a contract position through The Macon Telegraph with the United States Air Force 78th Air Base Wing Public Affairs Office.)
· Assigned, edited, and planned placement of stories and photos.
· Designed 12-16 newspaper pages a week and designed and coordinated publishing of special sections, such as the annual economic impact statement for Warner Robins Air Logistics Center and the annual water quality report.
· Maintained newspaper’s website, http://www.robins.af.mil/library/rev.asp.
· Trained staff on design principles and software.
· Initiated, managed, and led newspaper and website redesign which debuted on June 10, 2005.
Page Designer and Website Content Manager News Daily/Daily Herald, Jonesboro, GA
January 2000 to January 2002
· Designed and proofed 10-12 newspaper pages nightly.
· Wrote headlines, cutlines, and information boxes and performed minor editing.
· Uploaded stories, photos, columns, and classified ads to website and handled website technical issues.
· Worked with publisher and managing editor to launch http://www.news-daily.com and http://www.henryherald.com.
Library Assistant City of Clearwater, Clearwater, FL
June to July 2010 and June to July 2009
· Planned and implemented work with children and teenagers for an organized summer reading program.
· Supervised and planned activities for summer teen volunteers.
· Organized celebration for reading program finale.
Camp Counselor City of Clearwater, Clearwater, FL
June to August 2008 and May to August 2007
· Supervised and planned summer day camp activities for rising first through sixth graders.
· Enforced rules, policies, and procedures with campers.
· Certified in CPR and first aid.
Master of Science Instructional Technology
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Expected summer 2016
Transition to Teaching, District Alternative Certification Program
Pinellas County Schools, Largo, FL
Bachelor of Arts Communication
The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
Major: Journalism, photojournalism concentration
Minor: Women’s Studies
State of Tennessee Out of State Teacher
Department of Education Number 000580703
Middle Grades (4-8)
Special Education Modified (K-12)
Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate
Department of Education Number 1042658
Exceptional Student Education (K-12)
Middle Grades Integrated Curriculum (5-9)
Outstanding Camp Counselor: summer 2007, 2008
Best metro format newspaper Air Force: 2003, 2004
Best metro format newspaper Air Force Materiel Command: 2003, 2004
Best Page Design: 3rd Quarter 2001